Monday, December 31, 2007

Sew what?

As I prepare to go into 2008 I have decided to come clean about a secret hobby that I've kept hidden for many years.

Gulp! I have to prepare myself mentally for the possible backlash and public shunning that may result but I remain steadfast and resolute in my determination not to live under the cloud of shame for another year. 2008 is the year I proudly proclaim that I love counted cross stitching!

I have been a closet counted cross stitcher for about four years now. I know the shock this revelation may bring to my closest family members and friends. But I think it is time to come clean and reveal my hidden addiction.

What is counted cross stitch, I hear you ask. Just the sound of it makes you think it is an old lady's hobby that she keeps hidden in a large bag and takes out once she is seated in her rocking chair for the day.

Simply put, counted cross stitching is taking a scene and putting symbols to the colors on a pattern and then sewing the pattern onto a piece of cloth.

Yes, friends this is what I do. I wish I could say this I am using the new, amped up electronic form of counted cross stitch but to my knowledge there are no technologically advanced versions of this time consuming but totally satisfying hobby. The technology probably hasn't changed in the last three hundred years. I mean all you need is a needle, cloth, threads, a sharp eye and the ability to count. How easy is that?

Periodically I will put some of my works in progress on the blog so you can see how I am doing. I'm excited about my latest project. I purchased two new creations on line yesterday. I can't wait for them to arrive.

If I find a website that explains this awesome hobby far better than I have I'll add it.

I feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. As I close I will share with you that there is a stitching club in Bermuda. Who knew?! I found out this past Saturday and I think - I might attend a meeting. I know this is a lot to absorb but since I'm coming clean I may as well find others who have the same addiction. I might learn some new stitches.

No comments: