Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Exploding into a midlife crisis

I write this entry a few days before my 44th birthday. Ignore earlier references to being 35 years old. I may have been a bit delusional when I shared that thought.

Despite my constant and chronic denials I will be 44 years old on May 25 which is 528 months old or 16,060 days - give or take a couple of leap days (you can do the maths yourself on the minutes and or seconds.)

I like to think I'm wiser than I was 20 years ago (God, I sincerely hope so). What I still can't get over is the fact that I can say '20 years ago' with authority, I remember what I was doing 20 years ago - I was legally an adult - and had been for several years. Having said that I honestly didn't feel I had truly grown up until I was about 30 years old. What does that say about my view of myself?

In any case I digress - I wanted to share the life lessons I've learned over the years.
Cherish every moment;
Don't take your loved ones for granted;
Don't live with regret; and
Find your passion - whatever that is and make a step towards doing it or striving for it.

Is that it, the sum total of my learnings? I'm sure there is more but that is all I can think of right now.

I guess now that I've shared these truly deep meanings of life with you I can gracefully and graciously become a 44 year old. I have to say I don't look 44 but more importantly I don't feel as though I'm 44 - however I'm supposed to feel.

I will let you know if my perspective on life changes once I make become an official mid-lifer.

No comments: